3.12.2008

learning from friends (or i.e. how to make a head shot)

"LeapFrog Learning" is what kim calls it.

will you think us even bigger geeks if we admit how much we [both] love LOVED...ALWAYS l0VeD!! school ~ well, okay, to clarify: we loved the Best of School ~ the learning something new part!

one of the dozens upon dozens of things i love about having a cool + talented + engaging business partner is that when i have a photography a-ha!, i have someone to TELL.

PLUS, kim is always so excited to HEAR . . . even if my idea turns out to be well, not that earth-shattering, she still dives right in and explores it, too.

it's very happy that way.

and of course the vice versa: kim calls (or emails, or knocks) with her new photography insights ~ oh how her ideas + images inspire me!  and then <'cause see it gets even better> she says:
"hey, let me show you how . . ."

when kim got back from Lyndsay + Ryan's wedding in The Bahamas last winter, i was like, "ok, you gotta teach me. you are NAILING those bridal headshots" so we had a little workshop, involved some of our (amazing!) SilverBox Assistants and dove deeper....

over the next few months, kim kept hitting these out of the park...as well, i kept getting closer;
some of our '07 favs:


and some slight variations on the theme:

where am i going with all this?
yesterday, fun friend and fellow columbia photographer stacie pottinger called me after photographing a birth (that's one of her photographic specialties and whew, her work is AMAZINGLY beautiful.)
so stacie says: "where are you RIGHT now? and if i come hand you my camera, will you take a headshot?"
and we did THIS . . .
. . . on the school playground while tycho + friends tossed the football. stacie emailed the image last night saying '"thank you so much" and i realized you know what, it's really thanks to KIM WADE! she nailed this look, then she taught me....

LeapFrog Learning . . . it's fun! it's friend-friendly, and hey; it EVEN works commercially:
be it a salon full of beautiful women --

or heck, even blueberry waffles ;)


it's BEAUTIFUL!! get out there!
big hug, amy enderle

1 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

I have to say...I LOVE this image! Hard to believe that I had had one of the worst nights of sleep (we have a 3.5 year old who still doesn't sleep well) and I'd been working at a birth all day (plus a field trip to the Candy Factory thrown in the middle of all of it!) I love that I could call you and we could get this done in 5 minutes on the playground fumbling with my camera (Amy and Kim shoot with Canon's and I'm a Nikon girl). I knew I could count on you to come through and come through you did--BIGTIME! I'm not the kind of person who likes having her picture taken and I certainly don't like looking at the end product...but this image...I just keep looking at it and I still LOVE it! I love leap-frog learning too! And I have learned so much from you and Kim over the years. Here's to good friends who share what they know and don't ever keep the knowledge to themselves! Again, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! (You can see this lovely image in print in the upcoming issue of Columbia Home and Lifestyles magazine....)