7.07.2006

family matters...

Glasgow, Missouri, is one of the most charming little towns anywhere. Not only LOVELY countryside, beautifully restored 19th century homes, AND an old railroad bridge that spans the river [see Jaclyn & Adam below.]....but let's talk people:

A few years ago I documented a wedding in Glasgow for a couple I completely fell for, head over heels. Jennifer had been a bridesmaid in a wedding I’d shot the year before. She called me when she got engaged, and from that initial meeting, oh how I hoped she’d ask me to document her wedding. I knew from the get-go what a unique celebration she’d plan. The old Catholic church is the tallest building on the tallest hill in town -- literally the first thing you see, from any direction, when driving into this little river town. It was clearly the pride of the city's founders. I remember being especially touched when I saw Jennifer’s last name set in the old stained glass. Her great grandparents, perhaps? Could it be great-great?? Discovering "Aholt" inlaid in that beautiful aged glass took my breath away, as did the remarks Devin made to his family & friends gathered for their rehearsal dinner. I was hooked. Both on this historic town and the neat people who call it home.

The day we had created Jennifer & Devin's engagement images, the Aholt’s scheduled a family session to coincide. Three daughters, each a designer -- each with confidence, poise and a strong aesthetic sense. I was so impressed with all three sisters that I wanted to quiz & get notes from their parents. Any advice? What increases the odds of helping daughters grow into strong, impressive women? All were home for the shoot – the oldest with her husband, Jennifer with fiancĂ© Devin, and then there was a younger, college-age sister, too. All gathered together to make apple butter, as well as a family portrait.
And now that youngest sister is all grown-up and has found The Guy. What a great addition to family Adam will be (even if they don't call him by name ;D) How fun are these images!

Jaclyn & Adam, I am both touched and flattered to have the opportunity to document your celebration. And Jon & Marge, thank so much for welcoming me into your home and for organizing a second family session. What a wonderful family you have! Can’t wait to see that reception tent on your lawn. Looking forward to Jaclyn’s wedding!! ~ amy

0 COMMENTS: